12.10.2007

Organ Donation

Most of you know that my mother had her lung transplant in July & is doing great. She recently updated her care page with the letter that she sent to the donors family. I'm so proud of her for writing to this family, who is undoubtedly still mourning their loss, especially around this time of year. I wanted to share this with everyone in hopes of showing everyone how wonderful organ donation is.



Hello my name is Mary and I am the recipient of your gift of life. My family and I would like to extend our sympathies to you for the loss of your family member. My family went through the same pain you are feeling now when my husband died unexpectedly, 9 years ago. Like you we had to go through a lot of firsts without him. We decided to write you now in hopes to share some of our love with you during the holiday season. We know firsthand the numbness you are feeling and the disbelief you are going through. When my husband died the hospital approached me about donating his organs. I did not hesitate and I too became a donor. Little did I know 7 years later I would be diagnosed with a terrible disease that would require me to need organ donation. Your wonderful gift of life to my family gave my 3 children back their mother and gave my grandchildren a living grandmother. This past September I was able to see one grandson born, I was able to attend another grandson’s first birthday and GOD willing I will be able to hug and kiss my first granddaughter for Christmas. Something I am not sure if I would have strength to do without the transplant. I was on the lung transplant list for almost a year. We had given up hope. I had resided myself to the fact I was not going to finish out the year. Then the call came. The call that brought the two of our families together! Your decision that night changed my life. Changed the lives of my entire family and I know that night changed your family as well. But you can shine as the tears you are shedding are tears of joy and love. I spent 15 days in the hospital after the transplant. I take a multitude of medicine, I get regular blood test and I wear masks to protect me from germs. Every pain I feel, every tear I shed, every laugh I exert and every prayer I say are because of you and your love. Every day I wake up more grateful than the day before. It has been 5 months and I am still over whelmed with the entire process. I am not 100% yet but I am alive, I am once again a wife, a mother, a grandmother and now I am a lung transplant survivor! I feel like the 47 year old woman I am instead of the elderly woman I was. Before the transplant I did not have the strength to walk 10 feet, I didn’t have the strength to make dinner or do anything other than sit still. Now I have energy, I can breathe, I can cook dinner for my family again. I know a type written letter seems impersonal; the medications have given me the shakes and thus made it so I cannot write. The doctors tell me soon the shaking will go away. I cannot wait; then I can go back to hobby of painting and craftwork. In the guidelines of writing to you I am instructed not to mention religion. So in closing I will step out on a limb and say GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY for what you have done for me and my family. We live in Pennsylvania; if you would be open to thought of meeting us we would love that. I imagine the Gift of Life organization would be able to set things up. Again – From the bottom of our hearts; thank you. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers forever. Ken, Mary, Danielle, Stephen, Kenny, Jaden, Adrian, Ashley, Eddie, Madeline and John

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley, what an awesome letter your mother wrote!! God bless her and the other family richly!! And God bless your Christmas holidays and you get good news soon!!

Debbie Wankel

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful letter your mom wrote!!!

You know how I feel about organ donation. We went about it another way but it saved my hubby's life as well and we are so grateful for that.

I'm so glad that your mom is doing so great!!!

Anonymous said...

That was so amazing, Ashley. :)