.jpg)
I've been getting a lot of very sweet compliments on my photography, as well as questions! So I thought I'd make a post and offer my advice - for what it's worth.
I'm using a Nikon D50. I have a standard lens (which we'll be upgrading, soon!) I can not use a point-and-shoot camera to save my life. I'm much better with a SLR (DSLR in this case). However, my friend Shana used a point-and-shoot for years and has beautiful images. I'm not sure how she did it though!
When I first got into photography, I had a film SLR. It was pretty costly to keep having images developed. I did take classes, but not for digital photography. So when I got a DSLR, I was absolutely lost. ALSO- with film, I would not take many images or try new angles. So when I got a DSLR, that was imperative. I can take 100 pictures and only like 5. So if you're taking 20 images and thinking that is a lot, it really isn't. On Easter I must have taken close to 200 photos. On an average day, I take about 50. It depends on how cooperative Madeline is. Sometimes I don't even look into the camera to see what I'm aiming at. I take a few test shots to see the angle I need to hold it at to get what I'm photographing. This is when I'm trying to get a picture of Madeline laughing, smiling, etc. Oh and I try and make my photo's clean and tight. I know if I am taking a picture of Madeline with nothing in the background, that I don't want a corner of a table in the corner of my photo, etc. I move around a lot, zoom in, zoom out, etc trying to make sure I have what I want in the photo....
My husband bought me Adobe Elements 6.0 back in October for my birthday. I was pretty darn frustrated with that program and hardly used it. I was used to Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro, and knew how to use it. It just so happens that when I came home from our pick up, I began using Elements and l-o-v-i-n-g it. I think it makes my images look like they are better quality. I also no longer mess with the brightness contrast button. I instead adjust my 'levels' and I find that makes for nicer pictures as well! I use the levels for my color pictures as well- just my preference.
Try new angles! I know some photogs don't like it, but I love it!
Hope this helps!
ETA: I just continuously snap photos in a photo shoot (like our Easter one). What's the harm? You can always delete them later (although I never delete any!) Some of my favorites are just her in her element - playing, clapping, whatever. One last thing- I ALWAYS keep the original photos as-is. I always, always, save as then add (2) to whatever the name of the file is.
5 comments:
You do a wonderful job!! I am trying to get my daughter Skyler to take a class at the college, she is a good photographer and any class will help wherther its film or digital. I agree with you take a ton of pictures!! I haven't gotten all I want to do yet. I am getting Adobe Photo Shop CS2, it's on its way. I can't wait!!!
Debbie
You do a great job. I think it is a talent. I also use Corel, and love it, but have heard that the Adobe is better.
I am going to use some of these tips. Thanks.
Beautiful! I love the way you see the world through your camera.
betsy
Beautiful! I love the way you see the world through your camera.
betsy
i took pix and my iso was all screwy (too high i think?)
so they came out grainy! blah : (
owells!
you're images are beautiful!
Post a Comment