While waiting for 8:00 to roll around so I could put M to sleep.. I watched her interacting with her Daddy. Sneaking up behind him, hitting the number key pad, and "chatting" away to him. Her facial expressions are so precious.. I try very hard to capture every expression, or every giggle in my photos and video. I want to remember everything about the way she is right now. I love her so very much! I also feel just a tiny bit that I had better be grateful for her being here (even when she is being hell on two short legs)... because I wanted to adopt, because I spent 21 months of my life "waiting", because my case was very difficult (although a norm in adoptions now...)... I guess I am partially trying not to disappoint those that have waited with me. I know many, many, many would love to be in the position to feel everyday Mommy frustrations...
(and now I'm going to complain....) I do get upset with Madeline and her "fears". Grass, slides, baby pools (or EVERYTHING INFLATABLE), the hose, the playground, and now... her sprinkler. I also realize she's in that transitional phase from baby (she was very baby-like when we received her 4 months ago..) to toddler. But gosh, it can be so frustrating to deal with a child who basically wants to stay inside and play or watch TV. I'm naturally an inside person but even I want to go outside! We have spent the winter indoors, it's time to go outside and play! She hated her sprinkler... so after many tears I brought her in. Later on I decided to get tupperware and fill them with water for her to play with outside. This was a huge success! Once she was done dumping all of the water out we got the hose out and started refilling... she stayed away at first but eventually made her way over. I realize this all takes time... but I do find myself wondering if she had come home last year, would this be an issue?
6 comments:
First off, let me say what a cutie in a bathing suit. I am so glad she warmed up to her cousins. It shows great progress.
I am with you on the fears and tranisitions. A friend of mine has a daughter that has many fears. She is twelve now and still struggles. All of the things with Madeline are things she was terrified of as well. I think it is simply her personality and age. It is tough to be patient. Don't feel as if you have to apologize for being frustrated. Welocome to Mommyhood. I complain every day!!!!
Ashley I know your frustration. I now pick my battles. THings will get better and I think that as Madeline gets out to play she will LOVE it and not want to come inside. I always have to remind myself that in Guatelama most of the foster moms kept our sweeties bundled up and in their arms. They were never allowed to go explore or walk on grass. Maybe it's sensory overload and M doesn't know how to handle the freedom. But what I do know is that things WILL get better! I'm here for you...and don't EVER think you need to apologize for anything!
Oh Ashley, frustration in mommyhood is unfortunately very normal. There is no need for you to apologize. It is good that you can talk about it.
Fears are frustrating and normal, especially at M's age. She will come to love the outdoors, then your frustration will be her not wanting to come in...lol. She is showing progress since coming home and it will continue to get better.
M is absolutely the cutest. I love her bathing suit! And the look in her eyes looking at her cousins is priceless.
Your daughter is adorable! I have a whole different set of fears and frustrations with my little girls, and we brought her home at 8.5 months old. I think no matter what age they come to you, there are sets of issues...and as they grow out of those, there are new ones. Maybe not, but I'm with you..I'm so grateful to have both of my daughters home, but I do get frustrated from time to time also. I love your daughter's bathing suit photos...she's such a cutie!
Timberly
Love her bikini shots!
Now, I wish John had some fears. He's into anything and everything, especially climbing, and needs to do everything himself. I'm not complaining, I've got a happy, healthy kid, but I wish he had some fear in him; I'm on the verge of a heart attack on a daily basis. I blink, and he's practically at ceiling level.....
Such an adorable picture !! Of course all the pictures you take of Madeline are so beautiful !!! She is a very special little girl. I just Love her bathing suit !! Love To All !!!
Post a Comment