Parenting a 2-year-old is so hard. I miss the days of her tantruming for a week and then not doing it for weeks and weeks... now I'm lucky if we can make it through one hour without more then one tantrum. It's draining, mind-boggling, and overwhelming. Her screaming, shrieking, wailing, and howling could very well break the windows in the house. One wrong look and you could be in pure hell within 2 seconds.
I also wonder if the concept of a 2-year-old is foreign to some. I have encountered a lot of "Is everything ok's, what's going on's, etc" this week - and all I can reply with is "everything is fine, she's just 2". Some women give me a disgusted look and run in the opposite direction, others give me the pity look, and some grandma's ask her age, tell me their grand-daughters are the same age, and are doing the same thing.
Most of the time I don't know whether to ignore her or just pick her up. I know she is feeling a bit traumatized this week with an earlier incident - and in those situations I always pick her up.. but other times I'd like to give her a popsicle in hopes that she'll stop!
I also love the world "NO". Everything under the sun is NO! No to naps, no to bed, no to putting away toys, no to getting the sheep, and on... and on.... and on.
To think, a month ago I had this parenting thing under control - and now we're just spiraling out of control into the depths of 2-year-old hell.
8.23.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My daughter is turning two on 9/1 and we are going through the EXACT same thing. The mood swings are crazy! At times I feel like a failure and keep thinking I must be doing something wrong because it can be bad. Good luck to you. Hopefully it will pass quickly for us both! I won't hold my breath though!
Screaming "No,No,No", scratching and hitting are part of our daily routine....Disney in December should be fun, right?
Can I copy this post?? It is a day in my life as well. My girls were dreams at two, but not now. I am with you on the draining part. I am wiped at the end of the day. It is hell a lot of times. It is tempting to bribe them with something to stop, and sometimes I just do.
NO!!! As of two days ago he discovered the true meaning.....WONDERFUL!!! Good luck to you. Know you are not alone!!
Thank goodness for the Terrible Two's... I guess!! I am afraid Miss Emily Belle is about 2 months away from these dangerous waters two year old's tread in...I'm ready! armed with popcicles and all...This will be my 7th time to GET to live through the TWO's and oh, oh, I can't wait!!
hugs yo your sweet TWO year old!!
betsy
I can SO relate. Isabella got the memo that she was about to turn 2 and has embraced it with ALL of her being!! I am a teacher and can control a classroom of children, but cannot manage to get these tantrums under control with my toddler! Go figure...
hang in there... they tell me it gets better.. Jake NEVER did this. Seriously, he was easy.
amanda
Post a Comment