In the past few days, I've read an overwhelming amount of posts on attachment all over this great big world called the Internet. I'm shocked to say the least. I'm also a little frustrated that home study social workers and agencies are not prepping families better for the reality of bringing home an older child, and the issues that come with it. I think with international adoptions taking as long as they are, there should be mandatory (yes, mandatory) seminars on coping with attachment.
Now don't for a second think that I'm saying my attachment process with Madeline has been perfect; because it hasn't. We have our ups and downs just as much as the next person. There have been plenty of times where she is freaking out for days on end, and inside, I'm freaking out along with her.. wondering if this is going to be our "new, new". I distinctly remember around Easter, Madeline regressing, and me begging and pleading with God to help me find a way to love this child, if this is what her personality was going to be like from now on. So many times I look back on a situation and think about how I should have handled it.. and learn from my mistakes. I'm constantly trying to improve my parenting - Unfortunately, God did not make me perfect ;)
The main thing I'm reading over and over is... "I, I, I"... Well guess what? It isn't about us. It's not about how exhausted we are, it isn't about how emotionally drained we're feeling, it isn't about us just trying to keep afloat. It's about them and their feelings. These kids have just lost their entire world - they have just been uprooted from everything and everyone they know. They are scared, sad, and confused. Wouldn't you be confused if you woke up tomorrow and lost everyone important in your life?
I was very lucky (if you can even say that...) with Madeline. She was my first and I did not need to handle other children while trying to bond with her. She's done remarkably well, and it's very rare now that she regresses. We still have another eight months before I feel like she'll be more comfortable with us - maybe even attached at that point. That is one thing that many people in my personal life confuse themselves with. She is attached..... physically. Emotionally? No way, at least, not yet. I'm not sure how I will be able to tell when she is... I just have a feeling that I'll know. I see many families confuse a physical attachment with an emotional attachment. The emotional takes so long - they need to learn to trust and love us... that takes a very long time! You just can't wake up in a day and decide you wholeheartedly love and trust someone. It does not work that way.
Anyway, this topic is such a hot button for me. For some, it's politics, for me, it's attachment.
I do have a bit of good news.... Madeline pooped in the potty today. Thank God!
9.18.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Amen! I couldn't have said it better! I also think people are afraid to talk about attachment. They feel like failures when things get tough. Attachment is a process with adoption much like PGN. You never know when you're going to get a KO and start from the beginning. I agree that family should be required to attand attachmemnt classes, or at least go to support meetings with other parents going through the same thing.
Way to go Madeline!!!! Praying that you just bought your last pack of diapers:)!!!
Way to go Miss M! Can you tell AP to get busy too???
Ashley, thanks for this post. After just over 3 weeks at home we are just now finding some new kind of normal. This has been just as difficult for AP as it has been for Essie....... Nothing about this is easy. Thank goodness that I am at least in love with Essie now.....It was really hard when I wasn't. We just take it one moment at a time.
You just HAD to rub the potty thing in didn't you?? Geez!!
Attaching is so hard. Looking back now, Reese struggled more than I thought that he did. I fully think that he is attached now, but I have to be careful. It doesn't take much to set him back--and it sets him back for weeks.......
Yes, it is hard to admit, and some wouldn't want to hear that we also have to grow to love our children. This, honestly is true whether they are adopted or not. I remember reading an article when Cassie was first born, and I though my life was over about attacing to your child. It talked about how at first you would throw yourself in front of a bicycle, then it went on until you fully loved them and would throw yourself in front of a train for them. But, this took time. It does take time. I can honestly say that most days I would throw myself in front of a train for my children......then there are the days I would throw them in front of the train (I AM KIDDING! You get the point)
Ashley, your honesty is a beautiful thing that just might help someone else realize that they are not alone in this attachment process and that it IS about the needs of the child. Their world has been rocked, and they don't need a pocket full of I's... they need U's! You covered it all here, I hope many will read this and take it to heart.
betsy
I agree. These little childrens lives have changed. They were so used to the life they had and then they are living in a completely different environment. It has to be really hard for them. We Love Madeline so much !!!! Oh and Way to go Madeline !! Hopefully she will continue to use it.
Post a Comment