10.02.2008
Two years ago..
I didn't have a chance to snap any photos of Miss-I'm-Not-Going-To-Smile-For-Pictures today.. and in keeping my 31-day promise.. I decided to write about what happened on this very day just two years ago. I saw the envelope in the mailbox from LabCorp... Our DNA results were in! Perfect. Just how I had planned it... [sidenote: I was very obsessive about planning how each detail of my timeline would go. Can you imagine me, being obessive? I can barely remember those days of scribbeling my hopeful timelines out on a piece of paper.....] And it was this day, two years ago, that I saw the face of my daughters birthmother. I didn't know what to expect.. to be honest. I was reserved. She was..... smiling. Oohing and ahhing over Madeline... smiling. I felt panic in my heart for months after that. My biggest fear was that she would take my baby back. It was definitely a thought in my mind on a daily to weekly basis. This was not normal, I told myself. The birthmothers were often sad, standoffish, and stared at the camera blankly. Not "E". I saw her love for this precious baby girl that sat on her lap. It wasn't for another year or so, that I began to truly, whole-heartedly appreciate that picture. I understood more. Less about me, more about Madeline, more about "E". Afterall, she was not legally my baby. As much I loathed hearing that she was not mine... it was the truth. "E" had every right from the day she placed M into the arms of whomever... until she signed the last decree to change her mind. To take her baby back.. I'm so grateful to have that photo.. I know that someday when I begin explaining in more detail who "E" is, that she will see what I see, a mother who loved and cherished her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have pics of Reese and his BM, and FM at the hospital. It was really hard to see them at first. Now, I too cherish them. Though, she is not smiling in any of them.
It is a tough thing to see and think about. I remember being so freaked when I knew she was signing for th last time--and so sad for her at the same time. AAAHHH the roller coaster of adoption
WOW.... was that two years ago? We are so blessed to have these baby girls and boys!! If only people realized that our thoughts are never far from these 'other mothers', these very special women indeed!
Betsy
Post a Comment